St Saviour’s Chapel

St. Saviour’s is a chapel on the move. Starting life in 1881 as a church in Lyttelton, it was moved in 1976 to Christchurch to serve as a place of worship for the Cathedral Grammar School. This week, it has made a return journey to Lyttelton. Our own Andy Campbell talks about that journey in the video.

Captain Robert Falcon Scott and the crews of the Discovery and Terra Nova also worshipped in the church in Lyttelton and a plaque commemorates their association with the building.  St. Saviour’s original altar was sent to the chapel at Scott Base in 1980.

Thanks to CTV – Canterbury Television for the video footage.